Victorian Artists Society Heritage and National Trust Listed Building Restoration Completed Unveiled Today in Melbourne.
Victorian Artists Society
430 Albert Street, East Melbourne
View the completed heritage building restoration
Video Production Ron Smith CMC
The Victorian Artists Society Heritage and National Trust Listed Building Restoration is now complete following the four-year $2.5 million heritage restoration.
This evening at 7pm, the Society will be proudly celebrating the official opening of the building in conjunction with the presentation of the
2019 MAVIS LITTLE ARTIST OF THE YEAR AWARD
sponsored by the Hansen Little Foundation
and the Victorian Artists Society 2019 SCULPTOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
The completion of the heritage restoration coincides with the 150th anniversary of the Victorian Artists Society in 2020.
Note: The balcony where Dame Nellie Melba sang to the crowds in Albert Street will also be accessible. Dame Nellie Melba ran her Music Conservatorium at the Society.
Ron Smith, Media Communications, Victorian Artists' Society - Mobile: 0417 329 201
The Victorian Artists Society had its beginnings in 1870 when a small group of artists and lay persons met in magistrate James Robertson’s house at Blessington Street, St. Kilda, to form the Victorian Academy of the Arts – the direct ancestor of the Victorian Artists Society. Among the founders were Louis Buvelot, J A Panton, Thomas Clark and Hubert de Castella.
This heavyweight group were instrumental in not only securing the Crown Land Grant on which our building now stands, but in the early establishment of the Society as a legal entity. Immediately following the grant of land in Albert Street in 1873, a small bluestone building was erected, which although almost totally subsumed by the present building, still serves both as a studio and a reminder of our colonial past.
In 1886 the professional artist members, led by Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts and Charles Conder formed the Australian Artists Association.
Later in 1887 talks commenced to unite the two groups forming the Victorian Artists Society. It is within these walls that young artists including Arthur Streeton, Charles Conder, Tom Roberts, Walter Withers, Frederick McCubbin, and many others, commenced their journey of brushstrokes, which today form the foundation of Australia’s major art collections in national galleries across Australia.
Many of these works were purchased from members’ exhibitions, a process which continues today as the Victorian Artists Society, with members from all works of life and all levels of skill, continue to learn to paint and exhibit.
This building is a public asset and learning centre for following generations, and is open to the public and all of those who love art.
The Victorian Artists Society's historic restoration of the building will ensure this historic birthplace of Australian art continues as an important part in the lives of significant and ordinary Australians, from the time it opened its doors in 1892 and well into the future.
430 Albert Street, East Melbourne
Tel: (03) 9662 1484
Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 4pm.
Victorian Artists Society Office - (03) 9662 1484
Ron Smith OAM Hon FVAS, Victorian Artists Society - Mobile: 0417 329 201
We would like to pay our respects to the traditional owners of the land on which our building stands, their leaders, past, present and emerging.