This artwork is part of the VAS Collection
Paterson studied at the Royal Scottish Academy Schools in Edinburgh before migrating with members of his family to Australia in 1872. In 1875 he returned to Scotland and over a period of nine years exhibited in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester. Returning to Australia in 1884 he renewed his association with Louis Buvelot, and was closely involved with the Heidelberg School in Melbourne. His work was lyrical and romantic and featured plein air pastoral subjects
With such artists as Tom Roberts and Charles Conder he broke away from the Victorian Academy of Art to found the Australian Art Association. In 1888 these organisations combined to form the Victorian Artists Society. Paterson served as its President from 1892-3 and as a trustee of the NGV from 1903 to 1912.