VAS Gallery invites Victorian Artists to join our inaugural 9x5 Exhibition running from 26 May to 12 June 2023.
The original iconic impressionism exhibition in 1889 was organised and featured paintings by VAS artists Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts and Charles Conder, who painted on cigar box lids 9 by 5 inches in size.
Paying homage to this important part of Victorian art history, we invite artists from across Victoria in all mediums and styles to put their own spin on the 9x5 legacy.
The 9x5 Exhibition is open to all artists located in Victoria over the age of 16 and VCE students.
Artworks must be created on the 9x5 board supplied by the Victorian Artists Society.
- All applications to participate must be received by: Friday 28 April 2023
- Boards will no longer be posted but can still be picked up from our galleries until Friday 28 April.
- All completed works must be received by: 17 May 2023
(We recommended posting all completed artworks at least two weeks before this date to ensure they arrive in time)
- Artists will be notified of rejected submissions via email by: 22 May 2023. Unsuccessful works must be collected by: 26 May 2023, unless an addressed and prepaid return envelope is provided
- Awards will be announced and presented on Saturday 3rd June 1 to 3pm.
- Exhibition ends on: 12 June
- Successful works must be collected by: 13 June, unless an addressed and prepaid return envelope is provided
- First Prize $1,000
- Second Prize $600
- Third Prize $400
- Five Young Artist Prizes for $200 each (for artists of 25 and younger)
How to Enter
Entering the 9x5 Exhibition is a two-step process. All entries are to be made online.
Register your application to participate in the 9x5 exhibition using the
Registration for this exhibition is $20 for VAS Members and $25 for non-members. Each entry includes the 9x5 board.
You need to register to receive your official 9x5 board.
Submit the details of your completed artwork/s using the online submission system. Each entry will require a title, medium, price and image.
Entrants will receive a link to the online submission form following their registration and purchase of boards.
Once the digital submission is complete, you will need to either drop the work off at the VAS Gallery before 17 May 4pm or post the work in time to arrive before 17 May 4pm.
Entries must be submitted on the official boards provided by VAS.